Whitaker's Olympics over
Wednesday 13 August 2008
Michael Whitaker is out of the Beijing Olympics showjumping competition after his horse Portofino 63 became lame.
The team veterinarian has carried out an extensive investigation but as yet has been unable to target the source of the problem.
The 14-year-old bay mare, owned by Gillespie Equestrian, was sound during pre-export quarantine in the UK and on arrival in Hong Kong but has developed a problem in the last 48 hours.
The British Olympic Association and the British Olympic Equestrian Team decided it was in the horse's best interests to withdraw her before the horse inspection.
The reserve horse, Russel, ridden by Nick Skelton, now comes into the squad of four.
Arsene Wenger 18th anniversary at Arsenal: His WORST signings XI during his time with the Gunners
18 things Wenger has still never done at Arsenal
Arsene Wenger's worst signings XI
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Nani: On loan Sporting Lisbon winger admits he may not return to Manchester United
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Benefits 'smart cards' plan revealed by Iain Duncan Smith to stop claimants spending welfare money on alcohol