Whitaker's Olympics over
Wednesday 13 August 2008
Michael Whitaker is out of the Beijing Olympics showjumping competition after his horse Portofino 63 became lame.
The team veterinarian has carried out an extensive investigation but as yet has been unable to target the source of the problem.
The 14-year-old bay mare, owned by Gillespie Equestrian, was sound during pre-export quarantine in the UK and on arrival in Hong Kong but has developed a problem in the last 48 hours.
The British Olympic Association and the British Olympic Equestrian Team decided it was in the horse's best interests to withdraw her before the horse inspection.
The reserve horse, Russel, ridden by Nick Skelton, now comes into the squad of four.
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'