Whitaker's Olympics over
Wednesday 13 August 2008
Michael Whitaker is out of the Beijing Olympics showjumping competition after his horse Portofino 63 became lame.
The team veterinarian has carried out an extensive investigation but as yet has been unable to target the source of the problem.
The 14-year-old bay mare, owned by Gillespie Equestrian, was sound during pre-export quarantine in the UK and on arrival in Hong Kong but has developed a problem in the last 48 hours.
The British Olympic Association and the British Olympic Equestrian Team decided it was in the horse's best interests to withdraw her before the horse inspection.
The reserve horse, Russel, ridden by Nick Skelton, now comes into the squad of four.
How Manchester United manager David Moyes must wish for some of Manuel Pellegrini’s problems
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
World Cup 2014: Your guide to Group A - Brazil; Croatia; Mexico; Cameroon
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Arsenal vs Everton: Let loan players take on their parent clubs, says Arsène Wenger
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail