Winter Olympics 2014: British snowboarder Billy Morgan set to become the first person to compete at Sochi on Thursday
Morgan will take to the slopestyle event in the opening qualifying heat at the first person to compete at this year's Games
Thursday 06 February 2014
British snowboarder Billy Morgan will be the first person to compete at the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
The Games finally get under way later today and medal prospect Morgan is the first rider in the opening qualifying heat of the slopestyle event at Rosa Khutor Extreme Park.
Compatriot Jamie Nicholls is in the same heat and is due to come out 14th, while Ireland's Seamus O'Connor is in the second qualifying group.
The trio were yesterday given a boost after revered US snowboarder Shaun White pulled out of the event in order to focus on the halfpipe discipline, an event where he is the reigning two-time Olympic gold medallist.
In the women's event, which will start after the men's at around 1000GMT, Jenny Jones and Aimee Fuller are in the same qualifying heat.
Jones, like Morgan, will kick off the women's competition while Fuller is seventh on the grid.
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture