Winter Olympics 2014: GB bobsleigh team raises Sochi expectations with silver at European Championships
The four man team won silver at the European Championships
Monday 27 January 2014
Great Britain’s four-man bobsleigh team enjoyed the perfect preparation for next month’s Winter Olympics in Sochi by taking a silver medal at the European Championships.
The quartet of John Jackson, Joel Fearon, Stuart Benson and Bruce Tasker finished fourth overall but took silver by virtue of being second-best among the European nations. It was the first time the British men’s four had achieved a European podium finish since 1994.
The race in Germany was won by the United States in a combined time of one minute 38.54 seconds, with Switzerland second and Canada third.
“It’s a great result to send us to Sochi,” said GB bobsleigh performance director Gary Anderson.
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are