Winter Olympics 2014: Your guide to Speed skating
8-22 Feb at Adler Arena
Thursday 06 February 2014
What is it? A dozen golds to be won over distances from 500m to 10,000m around a 400m oval track.
What do I need to know? Lacks the thrills of short-track because athletes compete in pairs against the clock rather than in an out-and-out race.
Tell me something I don't know The American Eric Heiden swept the board in the 1980 Games, winning all five men's golds.
GB chances No qualifiers.
One to watch Shani Davis, the first black male to win Winter gold, is chasing a third in Sochi.
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin