Wrestling in battle to be included in the 2020 Olympic Games
Wednesday 29 May 2013
Wrestling could be reinstated to the 2020 Olympic programme, just three and a half months after being dropped by the International Olympic Committee.
Despite being discarded by the IOC in February, wrestling's revamped format designed to make it more accessible meant it made the IOC's short list, which included squash and baseball/softball, for potential inclusion in the 2020 Games.
"Wrestling managed to convincingly present the changes they have undertaken, both on a sporting level as well as in the organisation," said IOC vice-president Thomas Bach.
The sports will be put to the vote at the IOC session in Buenos Aires in September with just one sport winning a place at the Games.
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Nani transfer: No future for winger at Sporting Lisbon as club cannot afford his wages when loan deal with Manchester United runs out
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Mario Balotelli is playing badly at Liverpool because he misses his daughter, says agent
Tottenham Hotspur vs Partizan Belgrade match report: Spurs go through in Europa League - but pitch invaders grab the attention
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Ed Miliband's 'north London set' must be demolished to save Labour, say critics