Wrestling in battle to be included in the 2020 Olympic Games
Wednesday 29 May 2013
Wrestling could be reinstated to the 2020 Olympic programme, just three and a half months after being dropped by the International Olympic Committee.
Despite being discarded by the IOC in February, wrestling's revamped format designed to make it more accessible meant it made the IOC's short list, which included squash and baseball/softball, for potential inclusion in the 2020 Games.
"Wrestling managed to convincingly present the changes they have undertaken, both on a sporting level as well as in the organisation," said IOC vice-president Thomas Bach.
The sports will be put to the vote at the IOC session in Buenos Aires in September with just one sport winning a place at the Games.
elephant appealPrince William signs up for our charity appeal
elephant appealSo says man jailed for cutting off dead elephant's tusks
booksWe examine the best titles for teens
scienceResearchers teach border collie to understand sentences using more than 1,000 words
booksA Christmas story in six parts
travelWill high-value tourism help the workshops of this Renaissance city?
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Liverpool 3 Cardiff City 1 match report: Luis Suarez leaves Malky Mackay with nothing but pride
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Spurs don't want Glenn Hoddle as their new manager
Arsène Wenger: Now is the time to finally beat Jose Mourinho
Manchester United 3 West Ham 1 match report: Ashley Young returns in style to finish off Hammers
- 1 Top PR exec Justine Sacco under fire for sending racist tweet before flying to Africa
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 The publisher who played with fire: the battle for control of Larsson's £30m legacy
- 5 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness