Wrestling in battle to be included in the 2020 Olympic Games
Wednesday 29 May 2013
Wrestling could be reinstated to the 2020 Olympic programme, just three and a half months after being dropped by the International Olympic Committee.
Despite being discarded by the IOC in February, wrestling's revamped format designed to make it more accessible meant it made the IOC's short list, which included squash and baseball/softball, for potential inclusion in the 2020 Games.
"Wrestling managed to convincingly present the changes they have undertaken, both on a sporting level as well as in the organisation," said IOC vice-president Thomas Bach.
The sports will be put to the vote at the IOC session in Buenos Aires in September with just one sport winning a place at the Games.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world