Qualification hopes foiled
Monday 24 July 1995
The Britons were not the only ones to falter; the traditionally strong French, German and Italian squads also failed in some disciplines. And yet the British performance was slightly better than in the recent past, with some good individual efforts not always reflected in the final positions.
Among the best was that from Penny Tomlinson, who eliminated Laura Cheasa, the defending epee champion and world No 4. The men's epee team also performed well and were unfortunate to lose to Spain after beating Colombia.
The sabre team were consistent, with all four fencers achieving the minimum expected at foreign events. In the team event won by Italy, they started well, defeating Azerbaijan but could not contain the Romanians after leading. Dignity was restored by a skilful 45-36 defeat of China before going out to Bulgaria.
Britain's aggregate of 54points gave them 18th position. While this is short of the direct Olympic route, it is still up in the top third internationally.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...