Torrential rain earlier in the week had put the Leopardstown fixture in grave doubt until drying conditions yesterday offered hope that the pounds 75,000 Grade One event could go ahead.
After yesterday's inspection, the sponsor's representative, Mike Dillon, was a relieved man. "It is a very resilient racetrack - it bounces back very quickly from adverse weather conditions and the dry day yesterday tipped the balance in our favour."
Officials at Haydock are to inspect the track at 7.45am today. The going there is heavy and unless conditions improve the meeting will be in doubt. "Unfortunately, the forecast is for rain, some heavy, today and tomorrow," the clerk of the course, Philip Arkwright, said.
There will also be a precautionary inspection at Towcester at 7:30am today. The clerk of the course, Hugo Bevan, said: "We were raceable today so we are hopeful for tomorrow. At the moment, I would say we have a 60/40 chance of going ahead."Reuse content