Three Questions: Todd Pletcher
Saturday 15 May 2010
1. How do you feel Super Saver will cope with the notoriously brief turn-around from the Kentucky Derby to the Preakness?
Obviously the Derby is a taxing race. In a perfect world we would have more time, but this is the way it's laid out. And I do feel very good about the way he came out of it. He was bright and alert the next day. He was head out into his hayrack, ears up, you know, very, very content. A lot of times you'll see horses off a top effort, and every time you walk by their stall they're sleeping or lying down, wiped out. He does not appear to be knocked out from it.
2. How do you react to calls to spread out the Triple Crown series?
Let's say we made it a month from the Derby to the Preakness, and five or six weeks to the Belmont after that. To me, it would not be the same Triple Crown that has been in place over history. I think we'd see a lot more Triple Crown winners – but it would be a lot less prestigious.
3. Before the Derby you said Calvin Borel [his jockey] was worth five lengths at Churchill Downs. What might he be worth at Pimlico?
Well, I thought he rode Rachel Alexandra very well [to win the Preakness] last year. If I remember right she broke from post 13, so that was a difficult assignment. I think Calvin is an exceptional rider everywhere, and even better than that at Churchill. I've total confidence he'll handle Pimlico without any issues.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Fernando Torres to AC Milan: Jose Mourinho talks up Mattia Destro with Torres on verge of Chelsea exit
Mario Balotelli has been 'spoken to at length' and Liverpool have ensured he lives on Merseyside rather than Manchester
Champions League draw: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City learn group stage fate
Tottenham vs Liverpool: Hugo Lloris expects Spurs to wipe away shame of 4-0 and 5-0 defeats last season
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: HAMPSHIRE MARKET TOWN - A highly attr...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...