Three Questions: Todd Pletcher
Saturday 15 May 2010
1. How do you feel Super Saver will cope with the notoriously brief turn-around from the Kentucky Derby to the Preakness?
Obviously the Derby is a taxing race. In a perfect world we would have more time, but this is the way it's laid out. And I do feel very good about the way he came out of it. He was bright and alert the next day. He was head out into his hayrack, ears up, you know, very, very content. A lot of times you'll see horses off a top effort, and every time you walk by their stall they're sleeping or lying down, wiped out. He does not appear to be knocked out from it.
2. How do you react to calls to spread out the Triple Crown series?
Let's say we made it a month from the Derby to the Preakness, and five or six weeks to the Belmont after that. To me, it would not be the same Triple Crown that has been in place over history. I think we'd see a lot more Triple Crown winners – but it would be a lot less prestigious.
3. Before the Derby you said Calvin Borel [his jockey] was worth five lengths at Churchill Downs. What might he be worth at Pimlico?
Well, I thought he rode Rachel Alexandra very well [to win the Preakness] last year. If I remember right she broke from post 13, so that was a difficult assignment. I think Calvin is an exceptional rider everywhere, and even better than that at Churchill. I've total confidence he'll handle Pimlico without any issues.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea players allowed 20 minutes to celebrate, says Jose Mourinho after Capital One Cup victory
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Liverpool vs Manchester City match report: Stunners from Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson sink Manuel Pellegrini's side
Arsenal 2 Everton 0 player ratings: Who scored highest at the Emirates?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Dakota Johnson's 'It's only Isis' Saturday Night Live sketch sparks controversy
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
£40000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Systems Administra...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity for a t...
£14616 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading specialist in Electronic Ci...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: With year on year growth and a reputation for ...