Rudd has no need for video evidence

Castleford 17 Warrington 22
Click to follow
The Independent Online
The jury is still out on whether Warrington have improved sufficiently to be realistic top-four contenders, but for the second week running they stuck to their task and, with the benefit of the majority of a series of border-line decisions, won with a try two minutes from time from Chris Rudd, writes Dave Hadfield.

The former Western Samoan rugby union international, Junior Paramore, scored within two minutes of his home debut for Castleford, being brought down on his back before the try-line, but managing to turn over and scrape the whitewash with the ball, or so it seemed to the video referee.

The ruling went against Castleford's Chris Smith four minutes later, but there was no argument when Diccon Edwards went over from Paramore's pass.

Warrington needed to rouse themselves rapidly, and they did so when Willie Swann's slick inside pass sent Paul Sculthorpe striding through a huge gap.

A night of controversial tries and near-tries continued with Lee Harland having one ruled out for a double movement, before Richard Henare was credited with one for Warrington despite a suspicion that he had put a foot in touch.

Adrian Flynn lost the ball going over the line but Castleford drew level before half-time with Frano Botica's penalty.

It was a match littered with handling mistakes, but Castleford held on to the ball well enough when they put together one of the game's better moves, sweeping upfield for Grant Anderson's pass to send in Flynn.

Botica was having an unusually bad night with his place-kicking, however, and missed for the third time in four attempts. The man regarded as the world's best kicker made some amends by putting over a penalty.

But Jon Roper, who won last week's match against London with a late try, took a long pass to skip around David Chapman and score, Iestyn Harris' conversion levelling affairs once more.

The overworked official at the video desk denied Anderson a scrambled try but Castleford won the resulting scrum and Botica put them ahead with a drop goal.

Just as it looked as though that would be enough to decide a game of fine margins, Paul Barrow made the crucial break of the match and Rudd took the pass to race away.

Castleford: Steadman; Smith, Chapman, Flynn, Edwards; Anderson, Botica; Crooks, Maskill, Sykes, Paramore, Harland, Tuuta. Substitutes used: Flowers, Russell, Schick, Middleton.

Warrington: Mafi; Forster, Kohe-Love, Roper, Henare; Harris, Swann; Hilton, Bennett, Chambers, Sculthorpe, Cullen, Rudd. Substitutes used: Barrow, Watson, Jones.

Referee: S Cummins (Widnes).