:RUGBY LEAGUE: Inga kept waiting

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Wigan could have to wait several days before they know the extent of the damage to Va'aiga Tuigamala's knee and how long one of their key players this season is likely to be out of action. The wing was taken off on a stretcher after playing a leading role in Wigan's Boxing Day victory at St Helens.

"He has been examined by a specialist, but he needs to have a really good look at him in a couple of days before he knows how serious it is," Graeme West, the Wigan coach, said. "Things are looking reasonably good."

However optimistic the prognosis, Tuigamala is likely to miss the New Year's Day match against Warrington. Wigan also have doubts about Jason Robinson and Denis Betts, while Phil Clarke has suffered a recurrence of his ankle injury in training and is definitely ruled out.

The side's full-back, Henry Paul, is to make a personal appearance at the disciplinary committee next Thursday to defend himself against the charge of tackling his Saints counterpart, Steve Prescott, late and high.

"We believe he has a good case," said West, who will be doubly anxious not to lose another player with the return against St Helens in the Regal Trophy looming.

Another New Zealander, Tawera Nikau, the Castleford loose-forward, is appearing in person this morning in an effort to avoid suspension for his dismissal in the Regal Trophy tie at Dewsbury.

A ban could not only rule him out of the New Year's Day match at Wakefield Trinity, which is to kick off at 2pm because of local transport restrictions, but also out of Castleford's Regal Trophy quarter-final at Leeds the following Saturday.

Salford have signed Scott Wilson, the Canterbury-Bankstown full-back, who will arrive at the end of January as a replacement for Scott Mahon when he returns to Parramatta.

Wilson, made superfluous to requirements by the signing of the All Black, John Timu, has a history of drug problems but is now described as a reformed character.