Rugby League: Rhinos go on the rampage

Click to follow
The Independent Online
LEEDS made virtually certain of second place in Super League after a 13-try demolition of Huddersfield.

A win against Hull Sharks next weekend will secure the Rhinos' second spot - but with the points difference already accumulated it is unthinkable that Halifax will overhaul them.

The game was over as a contest by half-time as the Rhinos ran in seven tries. It was all too easy as Leroy Rivett and Richie Blackmore both crossed for doubles and Barrie McDermott, Adrian Morley and Brad Godden also registered tries.

At least Huddersfield did not totally roll over and their best man Danny Russell scored a gem of a solo try before Matt Sturm capitalised on Francis Cummins' fumble and gleefully dived beneath the posts.

With Iestyn Harris having an exceptional day with the boot - six from seven kicks in the opening period - the half-time score was 12-40.

With 50 minutes gone Harris scored his first try and kicked the conversion. Moments later Graham Holroyd took Leeds past the half-century.

Paul Cook, sponsored by a local bakery, restored some home pride with a burst from halfway that left Harris for dead in a race to the corner. But Godden dived over for his second as Huddersfield suffered yet another fatal hesitation in defence with 10 minutes to go.

There was still time for Kevin Sinfield to dive over for Leeds' 12th try of the afternoon and Terry Newton crossed for the 13th with seconds left.

Harris converted his 10th kick from 13 attempts, leaving Leeds six points short of a Super League record score. Even so it was a record away points victory. Harris, with a match total of 24 points, was only four points short of the individual points record for a game.

A 65th-minute drop goal from Garen Casey gave Wakefield enough of a cushion to reach the inaugural First Division Grand Final later this month.

Rob Danby caused a few flutters for Trinity when his 77th-minute try for Hull KR cut the gap to three points but Wakefield held on to win 19- 16.

Wakefield's victory means they move into the Division One Grand Final at the McAlpine Stadium on 26 September, earning themselves a week off, while Hull KR's defeat sees them entertain Featherstone at New Craven Park.

The winner of this match will face Wakefield in the final at Huddersfield.