Rugby League: Round up - Gibson the guide as Leeds move up

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Leeds moved back to second place in Super League after running in six tries against Salford at Headingley, but only after they had to withstand a Salford salvo early in the second half.

Salford responded to Marvin Golden's try after seven minutes when, 10 minutes later, Steve Blakeley went over. He added the extra points and, even when Iestyn Harris squared the score with a 20th-minute penalty, Salford were soaring.

Damian Gibson brought them down to earth, however, as he struck twice in seven minutes. His first try came when Leeds turned down a penalty kicking chance. On the fourth tackle they were rewarded when Gibson was released wide on the right.

The second was the try of the match. From a 22-yard tap, the ball was worked to the Australian who broke through two tackles and raced 70 yards to score under the posts. Harris added the goal to make it 18-6 at half- time. Graham Holroyd extended that lead with a try shortly after the break, but then Scott Martin went over in the 53rd minute with his first touch after coming on as substitute, Blakeley adding the extra points.

Marvin Golden scored his second try after some fine work by Harris, but again Salford hit back through another of their substitutes, Ian Watson. Blakeley was successful with the kick, taking Salford within 10 points.

But, with five minutes left, Phil Hussan wrapped up victory for Leeds when he won the sprint to touch down Holroyd's kick ahead.

Sheffield Eagles virtually assured themselves of another season in Super League with their second win in four days but it left Oldham with a struggle to reamain in the top flight.

One point separated the sides after 80 minutes, Sheffield's Mark Aston securing the win with a drop goal in the closing minutes of play.

The Eagles led 15-18 at half time after a tremendous first-half performance by the hooker Darren Turner, who set up the first try for Rod Doyle and then scored himself from dummy half.

Two tries by Oldham's Paul Atcheson, one by Howard Hill, a goal by Luke Goodwin, and a late score by Martin Crompton, made for a tense finish before a crowd of 2,168 at Hyde United.