Rugby League: Tallis' let-off angers Wigan

Click to follow
The Brisbane forward Gorden Tallis has escaped with a warning after his flurry of punches to the head of Terry O'Connor in the victory over Wigan this week.

Tallis, who risks being known as "Gorden Gloves" after his boxing exhibition in the second half of the game, has been sent a warning letter by the Australasian Super League judiciary. That is despite a plea for action from a Brisbane forensic pathologist, Dr Jim Gwynne, who watched the game on television and warned that Tallis' attack could have proved fatal.

Tallis landed six punches to the head of O'Connor, who responded with one of his own before both were sent to the sin-bin. "We would have expected the authorities to take action," the Wigan coach, Eric Hughes, said. "I'm sure that would have been the case had a similar incident happened in England." Indeed, Hughes has only to recall the Challenge Cup semi- final in March, when a volley of punches earned Bradford's Brian McDermott a four-match ban.

Alan Hunte, who was feared to have broken his collar-bone in St Helens' defeat by Cronulla, just has bruising and could be fit to face Penrith this Sunday.

Sheffield Eagles, Britain's sole winners in the last round of World Club Championship, have a doubt about Martin Wood for the match tomorrow against Hunter Mariners.

Keighley will table a vote of no confidence in the League's board of directors at the Rugby League Council next Wednesday after complaining about having their monthly payment from News Corporation cut. Keighley say they have had pounds 21,000 of their expected pounds 50,000 withheld, but the board, which has rejected the complaint, says it is following procedure by distributing instalments on the basis of predicted finishing positions.

Manchester City have approached the League about establishing a Super League club at Maine Road.

The Salford forward Ian Blease appeals today against the life suspension imposed for assaulting a touch judge.