Rugby League: Wigan set for Sevens

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Wigan had little time to rest on their laurels yesterday after their 82-6 victory over Bath in their cross-code challenge.

Their players were straight back into training, preparing for Saturday's assault on the Middlesex Sevens, a tournament they are now widely expected to win after the way they dominated union's finest at Maine Road.

"I still wouldn't like to put all my money on it," Joe Lydon, Wigan's football executive, said. "Bath had great athletes playing on Wednesday night and they found it very difficult. Likewise, there are still many areas we are not au fait with. We are going down there to compete but also to enjoy it."

The nucleus of the side who played on Wednesday will also be on duty at Twickenham tomorrow, with the likely addition of the Western Samoan forward, Shem Tatupu.

Tatupu signed for Wigan from rugby union last September, but injuries have limited his impact and he has made just one first-team appearance - and that as a substitute - so far.

Bath's Jon Callard wants more cross-code matches, despite his side's hammering. Callard, who scored Bath's solitary try, believes the union game can only learn from testing themselves against and taking ideas from the top league sides. "Wigan were awesome," he said. "I had a huge amount of respect for them before the game but now they are bordering on being God-like figures. Their attitude and commitment was superb - it was a real pleasure to be part of something very special.

"They could have taken the mickey out of us when they were 52-0 ahead - but they didn't."

Terry Matterson, the London Broncos captain, will miss Sunday's Super League game at leaders St Helens after being banned for two matches. The 29-year-old Australian loose-forward and goalkicker, who was found guilty of a reckless high tackle following his sending-off at Leeds, was also fined pounds 150. Matterson will also miss the trip to Castleford next week.

Super League is to go on the road to South Wales for a double-header that is aimed at raising the profile of the game in the principality. Sheffield Eagles have switched their televised match against St Helens on 9 June to the Cardiff RUFC club ground at the Arms Park. The curtain- raiser will be the Second Division match between the newly-formed South Wales side and Carlisle.

Leader, page 16