Rugby Union: Bath on rampage

Click to follow
The Independent Online
BATH continued their recent run of form with an emphatic six-try 39-13 demolition of struggling Harlequins in the Allied Dunbar Premiership First Division at the Recreation Ground yesterday.

After being held 17-13 in the first half, the European Cup holders cut loose after the break, scoring 22 points without reply. Their tries came from Mike Catt, Russell Earnshaw, Ieuan Evans, Andy Nicol, Eric Peters and Victor Ubogu while Quins' solitary touchdown was gifted to their wing Dan Luger courtesy of a wild pass from Catt.

Afterwards, it emerged that Evans, absent from Wales' drubbing at Twickenham last weekend with a hamstring strain, could now miss Saturday's game with Scotland at Wembley. The Lions' wing was poked in his left eye by a thumb and will assess the injury early next week. But there was better news for No 8 Peters when the Bath coach Andy Robinson tipped him for a Scotland recall.

Moseley consolidated their mid-table position in the Second Division by defeating their visitors Blackheath 29-16 and Wakefield won 30-10 at Fylde, who are now six points adrift, after trailing 10-8 at half-time. In Jewson League One, Worcester opened up a three-point lead when they came out on top, 31-22, away to their closest rivals London Welsh.

Cumbria's reign as Tetley's Bitter County champions ended at Aspatria where they lost 18-13 to Cheshire in the quarter-finals. Cheshire were joined in the last four by Yorkshire, who shaded Northumberland 13-9 at Tynedale, and Cornwall, who won more convincingly, 32-14, against Hampshire at Redruth.

Shannon, chasing a fourth successive AIB League title in Ireland, maintained their one-point lead in the table with a 70-20 triumph at Old Belvedere. Second-placed Garryowen kept the leaders in their sights, edging to a 13-12 home win over St Mary's.

In Scotland, Duncan Hodge scored his 1,000th point for Watsonians in their 55-22 victory at Edinburgh Academicals in the Tennents Velvet Cup fifth round.

In the opening round of the Super 12 competition, Natal upset the holders Auckland 24-8 in Durban with the Springboks' fly-half Henry Honiball contributing 14 points and Canterbury , surprisingly, went down 25-23 to Waikato in Albany, Auckland . Although outscored by four tries to two, Waikato prevailed thanks to five penalties by Leon MacDonald while the All Blacks' fly-half, Andrew Mehrtens, missed five kicks at goal for Canterbury.