Rugby Union: Dwyer unimpressed by his team

Click to follow
Canada . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .16

Australia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .43

THE casual observer might have thought that Australia's sizeable win would have brought the world champions' coach, Bob Dwyer, some measure of satisfaction, writes Eric Seery from Calgary.

But Dwyer, was not impressed. 'I was really disappointed, our play was too loose, our unit skills were not sharp, we were too lethargic and disjointed and we didn't play with any real fire,' he said.

Canada won 45 per cent of the line-outs, held their own in the tight and countered the rolling mauls of the larger Australian forwards.

In the second half David Campese added a hat-trick of tries to bring his international total to 55, but too often the Wallaby attacks were too flat and were consumed by a keen defence. Canada showed their best attacking ploys in the second half but often these were confined to their mobile forwards and Australia demonstrated the gap Canada must narrow if they are to mount a meaningful challenge in the 1995 World Cup.

Canada: Tries Kennedy, Jackart; Penalties Graf 2. Australia: Tries Campese 3, Daly, Smith, Horan; Conversions Lynagh 2; Penalties Lynagh 3.

CANADA: S Stewart (UBC Old Boys, Vancouver); J Loveday (Calgary Irish), M Williams (Vancouver Meralomas), I Stuart (Vancouver Rowing Club, capt), S Gray (Vancouver Kats); J Graf (UBC Old Boys), I McKay (Vancouver Kats); P Szabo (Britannia Lions, Vancouver), I Kennedy (Vancouver Meralomas), D Jackart (UBC Old Boys), A Charron (Ottawa Irish), C Whittaker (James Bay, Victoria), I Gordon (James Bay), C McKenzie (UBC Old Boys), J Hutchinson (Yeomen, Toronto). Replacement: M Cardinal (James Bay) for Kennedy, 59.

AUSTRALIA: M Roebuck; D Campese (NSW), J Little, T Horan, D Smith; M Lynagh, P Slattery (Queensland); T Daly, P Kearns, E McKenzie (NSW), R McCall, G Morgan, I Tabua (Queensland), T Gavin (NSW), D Wilson (Queensland). Replacements: D Crowley (NSW) for Daly, 59, D Nucifora (Queensland) for Kearns, 67.

Referee: D Bevan (Wales).