Rugby Union: Logan's run raises Wasps

Round Up
Click to follow
The Independent Online
WASPS secured a place in next season's European Cup with a 27- 13 victory at Sale in Allied Dunbar Premiership One yesterday. The Londoners can now focus on Saturday's Tetley's Bitter Cup final while their Twickenham opponents Newcastle must beat Harlequins on Tuesday to keep their hopes alive.

The Scotland wing Kenny Logan supplied 17 of Wasps' points with a try, three conversions and two penalties. Their other two tries came from the England captain Lawrence Dallaglio and Paul Sampson while Barrie-Jon Mather and Matt Moore went over for Sale.

Relegated West Hartlepool's gloom deepened as they went down 26-14 away to London Scottish. The Zimbabwean wing Conan Sharman ran in both the Exiles' touchdowns and the South African fly-half Jannie de Beer kicked 16 points.

In Premiership Two, Adam Smallwood helped himself to four tries as Coventry swept aside Wakefield 40-13. Simon Verbickas claimed a hat-trick in Orrell's 59-15 trouncing of neighbours Waterloo, but Fylde finished bottom after losing 25-11 to London Welsh.

The Tetley's Bitter County Championship final at Twickenham on 22 May will match Cornwall, who beat Cheshire 35-16 at Redruth, with Gloucestershire, who needed extra time before eclipsing Lancashire 23-20 at Vale of Lune.

Newcastle's reserves succumbed predictably to a 70-20 drubbing in their Anglo-Welsh Friendly at Cardiff, whose wings Jamie Robinson and Simon Hill shared seven tries.

Llanelli saw off Pontypridd 41-22 in the Welsh Premier Division play- offs. Bridgend stole a 37-33 win off Aberavon when their lock Steve Ford drove over for his second try in injury time, and Brett Davey contributed 16 points as Caerphilly saw off Newport 36-22.

Stormers and Queensland secured semi-final berths in the Super 12 with victories overWaikato and Cats respectively. Bulls finally won at the 10th attempt with a 21-19 success over Auckland, and Canterbury strengthened their grip on a place in the last four by spearing the Sharks 34-29.