Rugby Union: Morris takes win on chin

Click to follow
Orrell. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .22

Sale. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .19

DEWI MORRIS, the Orrell and England scrum-half, was flattened at a ruck and suffered a suspected broken jaw in a controversial incident in this hard-fought derby match.

While Morris was being treated in the 29th minute, the Durham referee Jim Pearson at first directed Sale's Paul Turner to the dressing room. Pearson, however, revoked his decision, obviously unable to name the culprit. As for Morris, he had to be helped off the pitch looking very groggy indeed.

It was a pity that this incident marred an otherwise rousing match. Orrell were forced to rearrange their back line. Matt Farr replaced Morris and went on the left wing with Austin Healey switching to scrum- half.

To their credit, Orrell never lost their composure and with a 19-5 half-time lead kept a firm grip on the match.

Simon Langford, Orrell's full-back, was undoubtedly the match winner with five penalties and a conversion. It was his steadiness that did much to stabilise the defence when Sale were at their most dangerous in the second half.

Gerry Ainscough's sound kicking at stand-off also helped to pin down Sale. The pack never looked like caving in to the often severe pressure.

Sale, with Turner again the inspiration at stand-off, played some spectacular rugby at times, often preferring to take tap penalties rather than goal kicks when they found themselves in dangerous positions. All three of their tries, by Neil Ashurst, Charles Vyvyan and Dylan O'Grady, came from this ploy and its clever execution by scrum-half Chris Saverimutto.

Orrell's only try came from the speedy right-wing Jim Naylor, who capped a crisp passing move to score in the left-hand corner. Sale scored three tries to one, but Orrell fans would argue, with some justification, that justice was done in the end.

Orrell: S Langford; J Naylor, I Wynn, P Johnson, A Healey; G Ainscough, D Morris (capt); P Winstanley, T Redmond, A Rimmer, C Cooper, C Brierley, P Manley, D Cleary, S Bibby.

Sale: J Mallinder; S Verbickas, J Baxendell, G Stocks, M Appleson; P Turner, C Saverimutto; P Smith, S Diamond, A Smith, D Baldwin, D O'Grady, M Kenrick (capt), M Ashurst, C Vyvyan.

Referee: J Pearson (Durham Society).