Rugby Union: Quinnell muscles way past England

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Wales Youth. . . .15

England Colts. . .10

Apart from age, and the result of course, there were distinct similarities between this match and the Five Nations' Championship decider at Twickenham. England Colts were dominant up front but two opportunist tries gave Wales Youth a moment of triumph to savour yesterday.

In the 23rd match in the series, their victory by three tries to two balanced the books at 11 wins each with one draw. The sight of a Quinnell rampaging around the Arms Park in a red jersey is becoming all too familiar. Here, it was the turn of the 18-year-old Craig, the latest in the dynasty from Llanelli.

With his father, Derek, and his elder brother, Scott, among the spectators, Craig put in some invaluable work in the mauls, the one area where a powerful English pack could not subdue the Welsh. The only differences between Craig and Scott is that the former is even bigger - more than 18st - and has less hair. England would argue that he was lucky to survive the match.

In the second minute, Quinnell had a running tussle with Gareth Archer which probably cost Wales three points. A penalty in front of the posts became a penalty to England. Quinnell was involved in another flare up with Archer, this one more serious with punches being exchanged, and again it resulted in a penalty to Wales being reversed. Quinnell was in trouble on a third occasion when he was spoken to by the referee for a shoulder charge. Thereafter, he knuckled down to business.

Despite incessant rain, England, with Mark Denney incisive, mounted several clever attacks and twice Steve Reed was cut down near the line. Wales, who had beaten Italy but lost to France, went ahead after 16 minutes when Kevin Mabley charged down an attempted clearance from Alex King. England drew level six minutes later with a superb try; Reed came into the line and Scott Benton sent the full-back Dean Jowlett clear down the left touchline.

Six minutes after that, Wales scored from their least likely source, Christopher Stephens going over from a line-out. The decisive try came early in the second half when Arwel Thomas wrong-footed the England defence with a blind- side break and Darren Davies crashed over. Wales, with Adam Jones, the former Millfield schoolboy, outstanding, managed to keep the white tide at bay.

Wales: Tries Mabley, Stephens, Davies. England: Tries Jowlett, Benton.

WALES: A Jones (Harlequins); C Wilkins (Cardiff), R Jones (Neath Colts, capt), G Jones (Bridgend), D James (Cornelly); A Thomas (Trebannws), K Mabley (Bridgend); L Manning (Bridgend), J Power (Rhigos), D Morris (Neath), S Ford (Cwmafan), C Stephens (Maesteg), C Quinnell (Llanelli), D Davies (Cardiff), M Codd (Llanelli).

ENGLAND: D Jowlett (Old Brodleians); N Miller (Wakefield), M Denney (Bedford and Bristol University, capt), J Overend (Otley), S Reed (Leicester); A King (Rosslyn Park), S Benton (Morley); A Collins (Bath), D Robbins (Swansea University), N McCarthy (Bath), G Archer (Newcastle Gosforth), R Kidman (Blackheath), B Wade (Morley), R Fidler (Gloucester), J Ions (Durham University).

Referee: J Bacigalupo (Scotland).