Rugby Union: Successful comeback for Fenn

Click to follow
THE most gruesome and forgettable month in Simon Fenn's rugby life ended on a positive note yesterday when he returned to a winning London Scottish team in Allied Dunbar Premiership Two at Moseley.

The Australian flanker's club debut, in the Tetley's Bitter Cup at Bath on 3 January, came to an abrupt and brutal conclusion when a chunk was bitten out of his left ear by an unidentified opponent. Yesterday, Fenn resumed his Exiles' career at The Reddings with tape covering the injury and hee got through the whole game which ended in a 29-18 victory for the visitors.

That result strengthens the London Scottish grip on second place but they are still eight points adrift of Bedford, who made it 14 wins from 14 games with a 47-22 home win over Orrell. Paul Turner, the player-coach whose 39th birthday is just over a fortnight away, ran in two of Bedford's six tries.

Worcester moved to the top of Jewson League One with a 50-3 thrashing of Harrogate, Nick Baxter claiming a hat-trick of tries. The previous leaders, London Welsh, trail by a point after losing 21-15 at Rugby.

Another virtuoso display by Arwel Thomas, named at fly-half for Wales against Italy on Saturday, helped leaders Swansea to a 37-11 success at Newport in the Welsh Premier Division. Thomas, who scored 29 points against Tondu in the Swalec Cup last weekend, clocked up a further 27 yesterday. Pontypridd let slip a chance to go second when they lost 29-13 at Ebbw Vale. Byron Hayward kicked 19 points for Vale but Neil Jenkins was missing for Ponty with a shoulder injury which casts doubt on whether he will face Italy.

Craig Chalmers and Rowen Shepherd, with a try and three penalties respectively, warmed up for Scotland's visit to Dublin next weekend as the champions Melrose beat Stirling County 14-11 to go three points clear in the Tennents Premiership. Ballymena are still ahead in Ireland's AIB League but only on points difference after losing 19-13 at second-placed Shannon.