Farrell ensures Saracens a measure of revenge in Paris

Racing Metro 92: 14 Saracens: 19
Click to follow
The Independent Online

Saracens restored some pride in their disappointing European campaign with this creditable Heineken Cup Pool Two win in Paris last night. However, the Premiership side had lost all three previous matches and have no realistic chance of reaching the knockout stages.

Owen Farrell was the key man as they took a 16-0 lead into half-time, kicking two penalties, a drop goal and a conversion while also setting up Brad Barritt's try. A second-half fightback saw Racing nearly overhaul that lead but the English side were able to hold on.

There were doubts whether the game would go ahead with snow falling and temperatures dropping, but the ground staff were able to make the pitch just about playable at Stade Olympique Yves du Manoir.

Saracens started brightly and won a penalty, only for Farrell to hit the inside of the post. They won a subsequent scrum from a knock-on and when the hosts were caught offside at the breakdown, Farrell slotted the subsequent penalty.

Racing regrouped and threatened but Saracens capitalised on some scrappy play as 19-year-old Farrell produced a clever drop-goal.

Sarries then got their try when Barritt forced his way over in the 35th minute. Farrell was the creator as he capitalised on more amateurish Racing play to set up Barritt to cross, before adding the extras to make it 13-0. The visitors' night got even better as Farrell was given another penalty on a plate to take it to 16-0 at the break.

Racing clawed their way back into it as Farrell was caught in possession, Neil De Kock's clearance was charged down and Italian international Mirco Bergamasco was able to cross. Jonathan Wisniewski converted to make it 16-7.

Racing then took a quick penalty and Nicolas Durand went over. Wisniewski converted to reduce the gap to two points. Racing had the bit between their teeth but were unable to bridge the gap and Farrell's last-minute penalty wrapped up the win.