Magners League Round-Up: Biggar delivers late blow to give Ospreys edge over Scarlets

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Dan Biggar's late drop goal secured Ospreys a narrow 21-18 victory over Scarlets at the Parc y Scarlets on Saturday. Scarlets' Stephen Jones kicked six penalties as the hosts dominated possession but two tries followed by Biggar's decisive kick saw Ospreys triumph.

Jones found the posts from open play in the fifth minute to give Scarlets the lead before Biggar quickly replied for the visitors with a penalty. Biggar's next kick was sandwiched by two Jones efforts and the Welsh fly-half, playing in front of the national side's manager, Warren Gatland, then registered three more points from his boot.

Ospreys' first potent attack saw Richard Russell score a try on the far right after receiving a pass – which appeared forward – from Lee Bryne. Scarlets were stunned and increased the scoring through Jones's fifth penalty before Ospreys captain Alun-Wyn Jones scored his team's second try. Jones made it 18-18 with a further penalty on the hour-mark to escalate the tension but, with five minutes left, Biggar's drop goal went through the posts to hand Ospreys a dramatic late win.

Edinburgh struck late to destroy Aironi's hopes of a maiden Magners League victory, as a converted try from prop Allan Jacobsen saw the Scottish side snatch a nail-biting 10-9 win.

Fly-half Ludovic Mercier kicked two penalties for the Italian team before David Blair replied with three points of his own for Edinburgh as the Scots trailed 6-3 at the break.

Riccardo Bocchino posted a third penalty for the Italians in the 71st minute and the points seemed theirs until Jacobsen went over with four minutes left, with Blair kicking the winning conversion for Edinburgh.

Leinster ended fierce rivals Munster's unbeaten start to the season with a 13-9 win in front of a record crowd of 50, 645 at Irish rugby's new home, the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

Munster's Ronan O'Gara and Leinster's Isa Nacewa exchanged penalties during an even first half, and O'Gara kicked two more while Nacewa posted his second as Munster held a 9-6 advantage. But Leinster rallied late on and their decisive score came when Brian O'Driscoll scampered over the line to hand the Irish side the victory.