Saracens hit by Richard Wigglesworth season-long injury
Saracens and England scrum-half Richard Wigglesworth has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury.
The 28-year-old underwent surgery today after he injured his anterior cruciate ligament during the LV=Cup clash against Exeter Chiefs last Sunday.
Wigglesworth will miss the whole of next year's Six Nations championship where England will be hoping to defend their title.
Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall told the club's official website: "It's a big blow for Wiggy who has been playing so well for Saracens and has worked so hard in the past 18 months to get himself back in the England side.
"In my opinion he was one of England's stand out players at the World Cup and it's a shame he will miss the Six Nations.
"It's also a blow for us but we are lucky to have two very good players in Neil de Kock and Ben Spencer who have both performed so well this season and because of that, we are not looking to recruit."
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Arsenal 1 Everton 1 match report: Gerard Deulofeu provides late sucker punch following Mesut Ozil opener
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis