Dragons fired by Jarvis and Luscombe

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Gwent Dragons leapfrogged to the top of the Celtic League table last night after staging a memorable comeback to beat previous leaders Ulster 27-19 at Rodney Parade.

The Dragons trailed 19-12 with only 16 minutes left, but tries by Lee Jarvis and Hal Luscombe, along with a penalty and conversion from Percy Montgomery (adding to his four first-half penalties), propelled them to a thrilling win. Earlier, Ulster took charge through the brilliance of their Irish international fly-half David Humphreys, who also landed four penalties and converted Roger Wilson's try.

A late try from the former Scotland centre Alan Bulloch enabled Glasgow to erase a 16-point half-time deficit and draw 28-28 with Connacht in Galway. Two tries by Conor McPhillips, a touchdown from Mark McHugh and 10 points via the boot of veteran fly-half Eric Elwood put the Irishmen 25-9 ahead at the break. All Glasgow had to show for their efforts were three penalties from fly-half Calvin Howarth, but, inspired by Howarth's replacement, Dan Parks, the Scots staged a storming recovery. Sean Lamont and Glenn Metcalfe went over before Bulloch's try and Parks slotted two conversions. Connacht's final points came from an Elwood penalty.

Wasps' director of rugby, Warren Gatland, has rested six first-team regulars - including the England captain Lawrence Dallaglio and his international colleague Josh Lewsey - for today's Powergen Cup quarter-final at Wycombe's Causeway Stadium against little-fancied Pertemps Bees. Mark van Gisbergen, Fraser Waters, Craig Dowd and Rob Howley will also be missing, but Stuart Abbott has recovered from an ankle injury and returns at centre while the England lock Simon Shaw becomes the eighth player to captain Wasps this season.

Tight-head prop Adam Jones is doubtful for Wales's encounter with France at the Millennium Stadium next Sunday after injuring his left ankle in Neath-Swansea Ospreys' 18-15 victory over Munster in Cork on Friday night.

Mat Rogers ran in a try and set up two others as NSW Waratahs galloped to a 48-14 Super 12 victory over the Sharks in Sydney. Steve Kefu, cleared last week of a doping offence by the Australian RFU after he took a steroid to treat a viral disorder, ran in two tries for Queensland Reds in their 39-25 win over Waikato Chiefs in Brisbane. De Wet Barry also crossed twice as Stormers came back from a 22-0 deficit to beat Otago Highlanders 46-25 in Cape Town, and Derick Hougaard kicked 20 points as the Bulls saw off the Hurricanes 40-19 in Pretoria.