Dwayne's world close to perfect

Llanelli 45 Glasgow 15
Click to follow
The Independent Online

Scrum-half Dwayne Peel came of age yesterday to push for a Wales place in front of national coach Steve Hansen. The diminutive Peel has been fighting for a place in the Llanelli side against Irish international Guy Easterby, but he took his chance to score two brilliant individual tries.

Glasgow, who had won at Cardiff and Newport last month, were very much in the match after 40 minutes, just a point behind. After Llanelli had gained a further try – rather fortuitously – Peel's first score arrived as he took a tap-kick just inside his own half. With Glasgow retreating, they turned too late to see a flash of Peel's scarlet jersey as he raced away to score.

Later, when the game was won at 35-15, Peel ghosted from a ruck in his own half to deceive the whole of the Glasgow side once again.

The Llanelli coach, Gareth Jenkins, said afterwards: "We were at our wits' end defending lost causes to begin with and had to get it together, and Leigh Davies and Stephen Jones did that.

"Dwayne Peel inspired the crowd and gave a huge performance. It was a real statement about the next level of rugby up and he has made it difficult for the international selectors."

The Glasgow coach, Kiwi Searancke, thought that his side had let the game slip, saying: "We pulled away from tackles and started to drop our heads. There was a soft valley and we took it, but I will analyse my performance as well as the players.

"We played well for 20 minutes but the game can change quickly and it went away from us. The better team won the day."

Both sides handled poorly in the strong wind, and Llanelli were lucky to be up at the interval by two Jones penalties and a corner try by Garan Evans – his 100th for his club.

Glasgow's skipper, Jason White, had scored a try and Tommy Hayes kicked the penalty and conversion, but flanker Ian Boobyer's try after 53 minutes was converted by Jones.

Then came Peel's first try and with prop Martyn Madden outstripping a startled defence from 25 metres for another converted try it was suddenly 32-10.

If some Glasgow players were struggling by then, one was not. Flanker Donnie Macfadyen forced his way over for the Scottish side's only second-half score.

After Jones had kicked a penalty, Peel was away for his second try and Jones converted to put the Scarlets out of sight.

It was time for the replacements to come on and one of them, Gareth Bowen – on for Jones – added a final penalty which was welcome but not necessary.

Llanelli: G Evans; M Jones, Watkins, L Davies, Finau; S Jones, Peel; I Thomas, McBryde, Madden, Cooper, Wyatt, S Easterby, I Boobyer, Quinnell.

Glasgow: S Moffat; Steel, A Bulloch, Henderson, Metcalfe; Hayes, Beveridge; Blades, G Bulloch, Harrison, A Hall, White, Wilson, MacFadyen, Petrie.

Referee: G de Santis (Italy).