France's captain to face stamping charge

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The France captain, Olivier Magne, has been summoned to appear before a Six Nations disciplinary committee in London today to answer allegations that he stamped on the Italy winger Denis Dallan during last Saturday's Test at the Stade de France in Paris.

A three-man panel, chaired by the Scottish official Lorne Crerar, includes the former England prop Jeff Probyn and an Irish representative, Jack Kirwan.

Leicester's Lewis Moody will be dealt with by the Heineken Cup organisers, European Rugby Cup Limited, on Friday in Dublin, following an allegation of stamping in the quarter-final match against Leinster. The Irish province cited the back-row forward Moody for allegedly stamping on the Ireland centre Brian O'Driscoll in the Welford Road tie on 27 January. Last week the Tigers decided to take no further action against Moody after studying a video of the 29-18 home win.

The misconduct charge against Newcastle, in respect of their pitch preparation for the Heineken Cup fifth-round match against Leinster on 5 January, and the provision of an alternative venue, will also be heard in Dublin on Friday afternoon.

The future of Philippe Saint-André, Gloucester's director of coaching, was still uncertain last night. The former French international, who went to France last week where he was rumoured to have been sounded out by the French club Bourgoin and thus fuelled speculation that he is looking to leave Kingsholm, met with the club's owner and chairman, Tom Walkinshaw, and the managing director, Ken Nottage, last night. Although no immediate announcement was expected, Saint-André said that he would probably be making a statement today.

The meeting was also expected to discuss the matter of Henry Paul, who was fiercely critical of the club's coaching last week. Saint-André is eager to clear the air with the former rugby league player, but needed to talk things over with the club's management. But the plot thickened with the news that the Australian National Rugby League club, Canberra Raiders, were keen to rescue Paul from Gloucester.