Cipriani and Rees injuries hit England
Saturday 10 October 2009
Danny Cipriani has been ruled out of England's autumn Test matches through injury. The fly-half is on crutches and is expected to be out for six weeks after picking up a hairline fracture to his right calf bone.
His Wasps team-mate, flanker Tom Rees, meanwhile, faces four months on the sidelines after undergoing a second shoulder operation this year. The London club launch their European Challenge Cup campaign tomorrow.
Rees is part of the elite England squad, while Cipriani is in the England Saxons group. Wasps director of rugby Tony Hanks said of Rees' operation: "This is not a decision that has been taken lightly by Tom or the club. However, the disappointment at the delay in a return to fitness is secondary to Tom's health, comfort and long-term career. All parties believe this is the best option for Tom and he will, of course, have the full support of the club through this difficult and frustrating time."
The England prop Phil Vickery will captain Wasps against Racing Metro 92 at Adams Park tomorrow, leading a team that includes full-back Lachlan Mitchell following his recovery from concussion sustained in last weekend's Premiership win over Northampton.
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK