England vs Samoa: Twickenham clash gets the green light as Samoan team manager confirms no strike action will take place

Autumn international was under threat after an administration dispute between Samoa's players and the Samoa Rugby Union

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Samoa have ruled out the possibility of strike action at Saturday's QBE International against England at Twickenham.

The tourists had threatened to boycott the game over concerns surrounding the administration of the Samoa Rugby Union, forcing the International Rugby Board and International Rugby Players' Association to step in as mediators.

"The game is proceeding as agreed upon. There is no threat and the boycott has been cancelled. It's all been sorted," Samoa team manager Sami Leoti told Press Association Sport.

The potential for Samoa to withdraw from the third of this autumn's four QBE Internationals was first made public when the IRB released a statement outlining the players' unrest.

 

The IRB expected the dispute to be resolved and that the game would go ahead as planned.

"The players handed the matter on to the IRB and players' association three weeks ago before we got to Italy and they've been handling it since," Leoti said.

"It was leaked to the media when we were in France last week. The players met with the IRB and the players association and as a result of those discussions the boycott was called off.

"Now the idea is to keep the camp tight and focus on the game."

Samoa have lost to Italy and defeated Canada so far on their European tour with Saturday's clash with England their final fixture of the autumn.

PA

Comments