Injured Southwell out of World Cup
Scotland full-back Hugo Southwell will miss the World Cup after failing to recover in time from a knee problem. The 31-year-old Stade Français player suffered the injury in May and missed the French side's Amlin Challenge Cup final defeat by Harlequins.
"After talking this through with Hugo we've decided to stand him down from our World Cup squad by mutual consent," said head coach Andy Robinson.
Scotland's World Cup campaign begins against Romania on 10 September. Prior to the tournament in New Zealand, Robinson's side are at home to Ireland on 6 August and host Italy two weeks later. "Hugo has been working hard to recover from a knee injury but has not been able to take a full part in our training camp," Robinson said.
A tight game could be in prospect here. Northampton have been keeping things very tight of late and ...
by Gareth Purnell
18 May 2013 02:01 AM
I can’t ever watch games of football or rugby without wistfully wondering what it must be like to be...
by Martin Ayres
16 May 2013 05:10 PM
Since PSG’s exit to Barcelona in the Uefa Champions League quarter-final in April, PSG have been sur...
by Matthew Riding
15 May 2013 02:37 PM
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.