Northampton director Jim Mallinder reveals England ambitions
Tuesday 01 November 2011
Northampton director of rugby Jim Mallinder has admitted he would be interested in becoming England coach.
Uncertainty shrouds the future of current incumbent Martin Johnson, following a highly disappointing World Cup during which the squad were criticised for their performances on the pitch and behaviour off it.
It is unknown whether Johnson wishes to continue as manager or if the Rugby Football Union want him to remain in charge.
However, Mallinder, a former England Saxons coach who won two England caps in 1997, would relish the challenge the job offers.
The former Sale full-back told several national newspapers: "Every player should want to aspire to play for his country and I think that's probably the same for coaches too. You should always aspire to be the very best you can.
"If one day, I ever have that honour, it would be something that would be very difficult to turn down."
Phil Hughes head injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Robin van Persie says it's 'still possible' for Manchester United to win the Premier League title this season, but admits it will be 'very hard'
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Lionel Messi transfer news: Manuel Pellegrini dismisses £200m Manchester City move for Barcelona star as 'rumours and only rumours'
Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 4 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services