25 reasons why Ireland must win the Grand Slam
Tuesday 17 March 2009
Adolf Hitler hadn't been dead three years, Mahatma Gandhi had only been assassinated a few weeks earlier, Israel wasn't yet an independent state and the odious apartheid system hadn't yet been introduced in South Africa... when Ireland last won a rugby Grand Slam.
Some wait, huh? But in Cardiff this Saturday, Ireland's rugby men have the chance to bury 61 years of pain, anguish and frustration by beating Wales and winning northern hemisphere rugby's Holy Grail. If they win at the Millenium Stadium, they will walk away as Grand Slam winners, 6 Nations Champions and Triple Crown holders.
Click the image on the right to launch our guide.
But there are plenty of reasons other than a glut of silverware why Ireland must win on Saturday. Here are a few...
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say