Former New Zealand rugby player Mils Muliaina arrested on suspicion of sexual assault

Muliaina, who plays for Irish side Connacht, was arrested after Friday’s defeat to Gloucester as part of an investigation into an incident which took place in Cardiff last month

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Former New Zealand rugby international Mils Muliaina has been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault just hours after playing for current club Connacht in the European Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

Muliaina, 34, is suspected of involvement in an incident that took place in Cardiff last month. The ex-All Black was in the Welsh capital with Connacht as they faced Cardiff Blues in the Guinness Pro12 on 6 March.

Full-back Muliaina, who was capped 100 times for New Zealand before leaving his homeland to join Irish provincial side Connacht in 2014, played in Friday night’s 14-7 defeat to Gloucester at Kingsholm, but was forced off the field through injury after 34 minutes.

Mils-Muliaina2.jpg
Muliaina played for Connacht against Gloucester on Friday night

Mils-Muliaina3.jpg
Muliaina left the pitch in the 34th minute and was arrested shortly after

However, shortly ever the match ended, Muliaina was seen on television being led away by police, and a Gloucestershire Police spokesman confirmed a man had been arrested at the rugby stadium as of an investigation into an alleged sexual assault in Cardiff.

"A man in his 30s was arrested at Kingsholm Stadium on Friday 3 April on suspicion of sexual assault in relation to an incident in Cardiff in March,” the spokesman said.

"The man has been handed over to officers from South Wales Police who are investigating the incident."

Mils.jpg
Mils Muliaina leaves the Kingsholm Stadium

Mils2.jpg
Muliaina is led to a police van

Mils3.jpg
Police soon stopped the TV cameras from filming Muliaina

Details of the incident have not been confirmed.

When contacted by The Independent, Connacht Rugby said: “Connacht Rugby can confirm that player Mils Muliaina is currently assisting the South Wales Police with enquiries relating to an alleged incident in Cardiff in March of this year.

“As this is a legal matter, Connacht Rugby will be making no further comment at this time.”