Rusedski faces Sampras iy
Saturday 17 February 1996
Britain's Greg Rusedski recovered from the loss of the opening set to beat Frenchman Lionel Roux and now faces the Wimbledon champion, Pete Sampras, in today's quarter-finals of the Sybase Open indoor tournament in San Jose.
Canadian-born Rusedski, seeded seventh, lost a first-set tie-break, 5- 7, but composed himself to see off Roux 6-7, 6-2, 6-2 and give himself the chance of revenge against Sampras, who beat him at Wimbledon last year.
Sampras, needing to win this event to regain the world No 1 ranking from the Austrian Thomas Muster, saw off Portugal's Nuno Marques 6-1, 6-3. Sampras is on course to face the defending champion and top seed, Andre Agassi, in the final. Agassi defeated Jonathan Stark 6-4, 6-4.
Play was washed out at the Dubai Open yesterday, leaving the organisers hoping to play the quarter-finals and semi-finals today.
n After an aborted comeback attempt in Paris, American Jennifer Capriati has accepted a wild card invitation to play in Essen, Germany, next week. Capriati was scheduled to make her first tournament appearance since November 1994 at the Paris Open this week. Just before she was due to play, she withdrew having pulled a muscle before Tuesday night's match.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...