Sports Letter: Insulting
Thursday 25 November 1999
It is hard to underestimate the damage it does to the British monarchy (and cross-border detente) to now have it played solely for England, especially against another member of the Union. It combines breathtaking ignorance of history and arrogance against a smaller co-nation, and fuels popular disdain for all things English north of the border.
PATRICK J TOLLIN
Latest in Sport
Revealed: The most unwatchable Premier League teams of the 2014/15 season
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
Arsenal vs Aston Villa: Per Mertesacker credits yoga for helping him get back to best
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Bahar Mustafa: Goldsmiths Students' Union diversity officer to keep her job after vote of no confidence petition fails
- 5 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As the successful candidate you...
£17000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Join one of the UK's leading de...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a white-ha...