Tennis: More misery for Henman
Tuesday 03 February 1998
The British No 2 and world No 18, who was seeded third, lost 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 against an opponent who is ranked No 115 in the world and has never progessed past the quarter-final stage of an ATP Tour event.
Henman was hoping he could put his experience of losing to France's Jerome Golmard in the first round of the Australian Open last month behind him, but he is still suffering a hangover.
Greg Rusedski, the top seed and the British No 1, faces a first round meeting today with Italy's world No 81, Gianluca Pozzi, while the hometown favourite and second seed, Goran Ivanisevic, beat Germany's David Prinosil 7-6, 6-4.
"Nothing is predictable when I play, so even I don't know what I'm capable of until it happens," Ivanisevic said. "The most important thing is to avoid injuries."
Also taking part is the 30-year-old Boris Becker, now in semi-retirement.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, S...