Baltacha opens with Ishizu victory
Saturday 25 September 2010
The British duo Elena Baltacha and Laura Robson are both one win away from qualifying for the main draw of the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo.
Baltacha, the British No 1, saw off home youngster Sachie Ishizu 6-4, 6-2, at the WTA Tour Premier event. Baltacha, who broke into the world's top 50 this month, said: "I really had to step it up and I did that, plus the difference in experience helped me a little bit as well."
Robson pulled off one of her best victories with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 success against world No 57 Anastasija Sevastova. The 16-year-old meets either Kirsten Flipkens or Simona Halep tomorrow while Baltacha takes on Hungary's Greta Arn.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Ashes 2013/14: England’s Ashes shambles is uglier than ’06 whitewash
Sam Wallace: David Moyes is paying the price of United’s virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Arsenal 1 Everton 1 match report: Gerard Deulofeu provides late sucker punch after Mesut Ozil's opener
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
- 1 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 2 Turning up the voice of America
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant