Future of Roland Garros to be decided
Friday 11 February 2011
National tennis federation delegates could vote on Sunday to move the French Open from Roland Garros out to the suburbs of Paris from 2016.
Venues in Versailles, Gonesse and one close to Disneyland Paris are vying with the existing site to host the annual clay court event as costs, space and the need for technological advances become paramount.
Roland Garros will renovate and extend its ageing and restricted site if it gets the nod to continue although there has been media speculation that a final decision might not be reached by the French Tennis Federation's general assembly on Sunday.
Reports have said the existing site of the only clay grand slam and Versailles will both be chosen as preferred bidders with a run-off between the two taking up to three months.
Leading women's player Kim Clijsters told Reuters earlier this week she was torn over the issue.
"For me, to move away from Roland Garros, it takes my childhood away a bit," the Belgian said.
"But the way architecture and technology have gone in the last 20-30 years, it's only going to be better for the sport if you can have stadiums with roofs and better facilities for players and fans."
France's retired former world number one Amelie Mauresmo has made up her mind, however.
"It's been years now that I thought it was necessary to move the tournament," she said. "Even if there is a way of keeping it in Paris, I've got the impression that in 10 years the question will be asked again." (Additional reporting by Chrystel Boulet-Euchin and Eric Salliot)
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Gareth Bale puts five-bedroom Essex mansion up for sale at £2.2m following £86m switch from Tottenham to Real Madrid
Former England captain Mick Mills 'turned a blind eye' to initiation ceremony abuse at Stoke City, which included sexual assault dubbed 'The Glove'
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial