Guangzhou Open: Laura Robson wins as bid to repeat final appearance remains on
The British number one beat Jovana Jaksic 6-2 6-4
Tuesday 17 September 2013
Laura Robson eased into the second round at the Guangzhou Open as she looked to repeat last year's heroics in China.
The 19-year-old became the first British woman in 22 years to reach a WTA final at the tournament 12 months ago and had no trouble in defeating qualifier Jovana Jaksic 6-2 6-4 at the first hurdle this time around.
Robson eased through the first set with her Serbian opponent struggling on serve and the world number 35 broke Jaksic three times with the minimum of fuss.
Jaksic was improved in the second set but could not stop third seed Robson from breaking her a further two times as she advanced to a second round match against Saisai Zheng or Luksika Kumkhum.
- 1 If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 3 Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
- 4 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
- 5 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be