Guangzhou Open: Laura Robson wins as bid to repeat final appearance remains on
The British number one beat Jovana Jaksic 6-2 6-4
Tuesday 17 September 2013
Laura Robson eased into the second round at the Guangzhou Open as she looked to repeat last year's heroics in China.
The 19-year-old became the first British woman in 22 years to reach a WTA final at the tournament 12 months ago and had no trouble in defeating qualifier Jovana Jaksic 6-2 6-4 at the first hurdle this time around.
Robson eased through the first set with her Serbian opponent struggling on serve and the world number 35 broke Jaksic three times with the minimum of fuss.
Jaksic was improved in the second set but could not stop third seed Robson from breaking her a further two times as she advanced to a second round match against Saisai Zheng or Luksika Kumkhum.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
DJ Campbell one of six men arrested over spot-fixing allegations, confirm Blackburn Rovers
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis