Guangzhou Open: Laura Robson wins as bid to repeat final appearance remains on
The British number one beat Jovana Jaksic 6-2 6-4
Tuesday 17 September 2013
Laura Robson eased into the second round at the Guangzhou Open as she looked to repeat last year's heroics in China.
The 19-year-old became the first British woman in 22 years to reach a WTA final at the tournament 12 months ago and had no trouble in defeating qualifier Jovana Jaksic 6-2 6-4 at the first hurdle this time around.
Robson eased through the first set with her Serbian opponent struggling on serve and the world number 35 broke Jaksic three times with the minimum of fuss.
Jaksic was improved in the second set but could not stop third seed Robson from breaking her a further two times as she advanced to a second round match against Saisai Zheng or Luksika Kumkhum.
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
- 3 Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers