Heather Watson and Laura Robson progress at the Japan Open
Thursday 11 October 2012
Britain's Heather Watson and Laura Robson booked their places in the quarter-finals of the Japan Open with contrasting wins in Osaka today.
Watson sealed her progression with an impressive performance against Spanish sixth seed Anabel Medina Garrigues, coming from a set down to seal a 6-7 (4/7) 6-2 6-3 win.
Next up for the world number 71 is a meeting with France's Pauline Parmentier, who also pulled off a second-round shock by beating second-seeded Zheng Jie of China 6-3 6-4.
Robson, the world number 60 and eighth seed in Osaka this week, sealed her place in the last eight with a 6-4 6-4 triumph over China's Zhou Yi-Miao.
Chang Kai-Chen of Chinese Taipei awaits Robson in the next round.
Also today, seventh seed Chanelle Scheepers of South Africa defeated Mirjana Lucic of Croatia 6-2 6-2.
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Iain Duncan Smith's expenses credit card is suspended after he runs up £1,000 debt to taxpayer
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 French woman dies in freak bungee jumping accident
- 5 Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck to divorce and end their 10-year marriage
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?