Heather Watson drops out of Stanford Classic
Thursday 12 July 2012
Heather Watson surrendered a one-set lead as she bowed out of the Bank of the West Classic with a 5-7 6-1 6-4 second-round loss to fifth seed Yanina Wickmayer.
Watson, who built on her Wimbledon momentum by beating Sloane Stephens in the first round, broke four times to win the first set.
And, though she created further opportunities in the second and third, she could not break through again and her Belgian opponent took advantage.
There was some consolation for Watson, though, as she and New Zealand's Marina Erakovic advanced to the semi-finals of the doubles by beating second seeds Abigail Spears and Raquel Kops-Jones.
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
- 5 Mrs Doubtfire 2: Robin Williams set to star in sequel to 1993 comedy
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back