Heather Watson drops out of Stanford Classic
Thursday 12 July 2012
Heather Watson surrendered a one-set lead as she bowed out of the Bank of the West Classic with a 5-7 6-1 6-4 second-round loss to fifth seed Yanina Wickmayer.
Watson, who built on her Wimbledon momentum by beating Sloane Stephens in the first round, broke four times to win the first set.
And, though she created further opportunities in the second and third, she could not break through again and her Belgian opponent took advantage.
There was some consolation for Watson, though, as she and New Zealand's Marina Erakovic advanced to the semi-finals of the doubles by beating second seeds Abigail Spears and Raquel Kops-Jones.
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Ian Herbert: Work still to do before this Liverpool can be compared to class of ’08
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
- 1 Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police