Heather Watson knocked out in Hobart International first round
Monday 09 January 2012
British teenager Heather Watson was
knocked out of the Moorilla Hobart International in the first round today by
Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova.
The 19-year-old from Guernsey responded well after losing a lengthy first-set tie-break, but ultimately fell short as Pironkova secured a 7-6 (12/10) 3-6 7-6 (7/2) victory.
Watson, who withdrew from last week's season-opening WTA tournament in Auckland due to an ankle injury, qualified for the main draw in Hobart with a three-set triumph over Germany's Kristina Barrois yesterday.
Pironkova will play Anna Chakvetadze in round two after the Russian defeated third-seeded Romanian Monica Niculescu yesterday.
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back