Keothavong makes last four
Saturday 22 October 2011
British No 3 Anne Keothavong reached her seventh WTA Tour semi-final after beating Bibiane Schoofs in straight sets at the Luxembourg Open yesterday.
The world No 93 had reached the last eight courtesy of a stunning win on Thursday over former world No 1 Ana Ivanovic, and she reproduced that form yesterday to reach the final four in Luxembourg for the second successive year.
The 28-year-old was superior in all aspects of the match, producing three aces as well as winning 70 per cent of points on her second serve, as her Dutch opponent made few inroads.
Keothavong secured a 6-3, 6-2 victory in one hour and five minutes and will now face Romania's Monica Niculescu, who beat Lucie Hradecka 6-4, 6-4. Should she win, Keothavong will become the first British singles finalist in a WTA Tour event since Jo Durie in 1990.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
Dennis Rodman will coach the North Korea basketball team
Arsenal can surprise Bayern Munich in the Champions League, says former midfielder Gilberto Silva
Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile