Kournikova in doubt for Wimbledon after pulling out of Eastbourne

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Anna Kournikova is in danger of missing Wimbledon after pulling out of yet another tournament, next week's grass court event at Eastbourne.

The Russian star hasn't played since sustaining a stress fracture in her left foot in March. She missed the entire clay court season, including the French Open, and has already withdrawn from two events on grass, the DFS Classic in Birmingham and an exhibition tournament in London.

"At this point, the doctors have said that her return to competition is week–to–week," said Phil de Picciotto from Kournikova's management company Octagon.

But the fact that she has been inactive for so long increases the likelihood that she will miss the grass court Grand Slam championship at the All England Club which starts June 25.

The 20–year–old also pulled out of a promotion for a sports bra scheduled for Friday at Eastbourne.

Kournikova, one of the sport's most marketable players, has never won a singles title. She reached the Wimbledon semifinals in 1997, but lost in the second round last year.

She has not played since losing to Amelie Mauresmo in the quarterfinals of the Gaz de France in February.

Comments