Laura Robson proves too strong for Romanian rival
Brit moves into the second round of the Shenzhen Open
Sunday 30 December 2012
Laura Robson took only an hour to move into the second round of the Shenzhen Open as she overpowered Edina Gallovits-Hall 6-2, 6-1 today.
The 17-year-old Briton, who came into the match ranked 54 places higher than her opponent at No 53 in the women's world standings, was far more ruthless on serve, winning 80 per cent of her first-service points.
The Romanian also contributed to her own downfall by serving eight double-faults and she was dominated in all aspects of the game.
Robson will meet Gallovits-Hall's compatriot Monica Niculescu in the second round in what promises to be a closer match, given that the British No 2 is ranked just five places higher.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
Arsenal can surprise Bayern Munich in the Champions League, says former midfielder Gilberto Silva
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile