Laura Robson suffers disappointing defeat in Japan
The Brit lost to Kimiko Date-Krumm
Tuesday 08 October 2013
Laura Robson followed defending champion Heather Watson out of the Japan Open in the first round after a disappointing loss to 43-year-old Kimiko Date-Krumm.
Robson, 19, took a wild card into the tournament in Osaka but it did not pay off as she went down 6-4 6-4 in an hour and 26 minutes to the wily Japanese player.
It is the second time Robson has lost to Date-Krumm in Osaka after also being beaten on her debut in 2010, but the British teenager had won their last meeting in Beijing in 2012.
Robson has had a good year in the grand slams, reaching the fourth round at Wimbledon and the third round at the Australian Open and US Open, but she has won only 11 matches on the WTA Tour all season.
Her only quarter-final came in Guangzhou last month, where she reached the final last year, and, although she reached a career-high ranking of 27 post Wimbledon, she has slipped back to 42.
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
Ashes 2013/14: England’s Ashes shambles is uglier than ’06 whitewash
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1 match report: David Moyes powerless to prevent dismal defeat
Liverpool 4 West Ham 1 match report: Luis Suarez gives England more to fear
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1: Champions haven't got a clue
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant