Marin Cilic pulls out of Montreal Masters after claims of failed drug test
Croat does about-turn on playing to increase speculation that he will soon be banned
Friday 02 August 2013
Related articles
Marin Cilic has pulled out of next week's Montreal Masters, his second withdrawal from a tournament since unconfirmed reports emerged claiming that the world No 15 had failed a drugs test. Cilic had been announced as one of the seeds for Montreal, where most of the world's leading men will be competing, but the tournament have announced that the 24-year-old Croatian would not be taking part.
Cilic has not played anywhere since Wimbledon, where he withdrew before his second-round match against Kenny de Schepper. Local media claimed last month that Cilic had been informed at Wimbledon that he had failed a drugs test at the Munich Open in April. It was reported that his 'incautious use of glucose' had resulted in the positive test, though glucose is not a banned substance.
Cilic's management company failed to respond to a request for information about when he might return, while the International Tennis Federation, which administers the drug-testing programme, refused to comment on whether or not the 2012 Queen's Club champion had failed a drugs test. The ITF follows a strict policy of releasing information on such matters only if tribunals find players guilty of offences.
In serious cases the ITF can impose a provisional (but not publicised) suspension after a failed drugs test, but it is often up to the player to decide whether or not he or she wants to compete pending a tribunal. If Cilic has failed a test he might have decided not to play in the interim.
It usually takes about three months for a player to come before a tribunal following a positive test, which could mean a Cilic hearing is imminent. There had been speculation in Croatia that he might be handed a three-month retrospective ban, which could have explained why he would have returned in Montreal. Ranking points and prize money earned during retrospective bans are withdrawn and a three-month suspension might have ended before the start of the Montreal tournament.
Anything longer than a three-month ban would have serious consequences for next month's Davis Cup World Group play-off between Croatia and Britain in Umag. Cilic is Croatia's best player and would represent the country's main hopes of beating Britain, especially if Andy Murray lives up to his commitment to play for Leon Smith's team. However, he cited a knee injury for pulling out of Wimbledon and last month's clay-court tournament in Umag in his native Croatia and has never admitted to failing a drug test.
Meanwhile the ITF is still waiting to hear whether Serbia's Viktor Troicki has appealed against the 18-month suspension imposed last month for failing to provide a blood sample at a tournament earlier this year. Troicki, who insisted that a doping control officer had told him he could miss a drugs test after he complained of feeling unwell, said after his hearing he would take his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Following criticism that drug-testing procedures in tennis are not strict enough, the ITF is in the process of establishing a system of "biological passports". It is expected to be in place by the end of the year.
-
Portsmouth 1 Oxford United 4 match report: Portsmouth's big day ends on a flat note
-
Leeds United 2 Brighton & Hove Albion 1 match report: Injury time winner from debutant Luke Murphy hands home side opening day victory over Seagulls
-
The Last Word: Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale's art of manipulation
-
Chelsea set to make improved £40m offer for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney
-
Jose Mourinho: 'Why I didn't want the England job'
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes






