Murray quashes rumours over bow to the Queen

Andy Murray quashed speculation today that he was considering not bowing to the Queen.

Murray, 23, sparked fears of embarrassment for British tennis chiefs after suggesting he had not yet decided whether to make the gesture if he played in front of the Queen on Centre Court this Thursday.

But sources close to the tennis star said today it was "resoundingly obvious" that the British No 1 would bow.

It will be the monarch's first visit since 1977 and players have been given the choice whether to make the gesture when they take to the court.

Murray, who received a letter of congratulations from Buckingham Palace after his Queen's Club triumph last year, told a pre-tournament press conference: "It should be personal preference. I'll have to wait and see. I'll have a chat with the guys.

"I don't want to be bowing and the person I'm playing with walk straight past or the other way around.

"You obviously need to have an agreement before you go on. I'll have to speak to the organisers about it."

But speaking as the Scot took to the practice courts today ahead of his first-round clash, the source said: "This whole thing has got out of hand - of course he will bow. Andy would see it as a massive honour."