Murray's No 12 seeding avoids early encounter with Wimbledon big guns
Thursday 19 June 2008
The importance of Andy Murray's rise up the world rankings was emphasised yesterday when he was named as No 12 seed for Wimbledon next week. It means the 21-year-old Scot will not have to play any top players until the fourth round at the earliest.
Although Wimbledon is the only tournament with its own seeding system, giving added weight to grass-court performances over the last two years, the Association of Tennis Professionals' rankings are still the basis of the formula used. Only two months ago Murray was ranked No 22, but his most successful clay-court campaign yet saw him rise to No 11 and, crucially, claim a place among the top 16 seeds for Wimbledon.
While Murray could face a number of potentially tricky encounters in the third round – Ivo Karlovic, Lleyton Hewitt and Gaël Monfils are all possible opponents – he knows he could meet Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic only in the last 16. The draw is made tomorrow.
However, having missed the whole of the grass-court season last year, Murray is seeded one place below his ranking. "I feel like I am one of the top grass-court players in the world, but because I missed Wimbledon I am going to lose out, which I think is a little bit tough," he said. "I personally think it should just be done on the rankings."
The main beneficiaries are Marcos Baghdatis, seeded 10 but with a ranking of 25, and Tomas Berdych, seeded 11 but ranked 19. Richard Gasquet, beaten by Federer in the semi-finals last year, moves up only one place, but as No 8 seed would avoid all the big guns until the quarter-finals.
Any adjustments to the women's seedings are decided by a committee. Venus Williams, the defending champion and world No 7, and Marion Bartoli, last year's beaten finalist and world No 11, might have hoped for a boost in their seedings, but Wimbledon decided instead to stick to the rankings.
Bartoli has been out of sorts lately, a wrist injury even threatening her return to the All England Club, but the 23-year-old Frenchwoman recovered her form in emphatic fashion in the International Women's Open at Eastbourne yesterday when she beat Sybille Bammer, the world No 27, 6-3, 6-0. "This week everything seems to have come right," she said. "I feel really good."
With Wimbledon just around the corner Amelie Mauresmo, the 2006 champion, took the precaution of pulling out after only three games against Sam Stosur when she suffered a thigh injury.
The top seed, Svetlana Kuznetsova, was beaten 6-2, 6-2 by the 17-year-old Dane, Caroline Wozniacki. The Russian world No 5 called yesterday's windy conditions "pretty disgusting".
Robin van Persie to Fenerbahce: Manchester United striker 'agrees to personal terms' with Turkish side
Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs posts bizarre video of his Miami holiday being invaded by an iguana
Women's World Cup 2015: England take third place as they beat Germay in extra time with penalty by Fara Williams
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners will only consider 'astronomical offer' from Atletico Madrid for Santi Cazorla
Why is it that there’s no women’s team at Manchester United? - Michael Calvin
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts