The backlash has begun for Nick Kyrgios following his offensive comments to Stan Wawrinka. On a day which drove home the impact of his remarks at the Montreal Masters, the 20-year-old Australian was jeered by spectators, found the world No 1 joining his critics and learnt that he could yet be suspended from future tournaments.
The Association of Tennis Professionals, which runs the men’s tour, fined Kyrgios the on-site maximum of $10,000 (about £6,400). Kyrgios had told Wawrinka, in remarks picked up by an on-court microphone, that Thanasi Kokkinakis, Kyrgios’ fellow Australian, had slept with a player who is reported to be the world No 5’s girlfriend. Kyrgios was fined an additional $2,500 for a comment made to a ball person.
The world No 41 was also served with a “notice of investigation”, which is the start of an inquiry which will decide if his actions constitute a “player major offence” under provisions covering “aggravated behaviour” or “conduct contrary to the integrity of the game”. Further penalties could include additional fines and/or suspension.
Meanwhile, the public’s opinion of Kyrgios was made clear when he was jeered by spectators before, during and after his 7-5, 6-3 defeat by John Isner. When Isner served for the match Kyrgios became involved in a heated exchange with one spectator.
Novak Djokovic said at a post-match press conference that Kyrgios’ comments to Wawrinka had been “completely unnecessary”. The world No 1 added: “He was fined and he deserved it. He’s learnt a lesson in a hard way.”
Tennis Australia issued a statement saying that Kyrgios and his team needed “support”. Wally Masur, Australia’s Davis Cup captain, said Kyrgios’ comments had not been “confrontational” and stressed that the 20-year-old was still in his plans for next month’s semi-final against Britain in Glasgow.
“How punitive can you be? At what point do you start to move forward?” Masur told the broadcaster Fox Sports. “Nick is paying a very heavy price, financially. Obviously, the consequences will go beyond this week, for example among his peers on the tour, the ATP player council – they’ll have their say.”
Djokovic, who beat Jack Sock in the third round, was facing Ernests Gulbis last night in a high-quality quarter-final line-up. Isner was playing Jérémy Chardy, Rafael Nadal was facing Kei Nishikori and Andy Murray was due to meet Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
Murray went out of the doubles late on Thursday. The world No 3 and his partner, Leander Paes, were beaten 6-4, 7-6 by the Scot’s brother, Jamie, and the Australian John Peers, who were facing Djokovic and Janko Tipsarevic in last night’s quarter-finals.Reuse content