Soderling beats Nadal at Tour Finals
Monday 23 November 2009
Sweden's Robin Soderling returned to haunt Rafael Nadal at the ATP World Tour Finals today, beating him 6-4 6-4 in their opening Group B round-robin clash.
Soderling, who ended Nadal's 32-match winning streak at the French Open this year, again proved a tough opponent for the Spaniard whose hopes of knocking Roger Federer off the top of the world rankings here are now fading fast.
Nadal, who has not claimed a title since the claycourt Rome Masters in May, struggled to handle the powerful Soderling forehand on the faster indoor surface at the O2 arena and looked vulnerable on serve throughout.
Soderling, only in the eight-man showpiece after the withdrawal of American Andy Roddick, secured the first set by breaking serve in the 10th game and repeated the trick at the same point in the second.
Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly: Bellew takes his revenge with points win over Cleverly
Perth midfielder Ruben Zadkovich sent off 17 seconds after coming on against Wellington
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in win ahead of Wallabies showdown
Manchester United transfer news: Robin van Persie could leave this summer with Edinson Cavani and Thomas Muller on United wish-list
Arsenal vs Manchester United match report: Wayne Rooney and a Keiran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track